-->

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving from EAST SAC!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! 

So…. I have some big news. I AM IN EAST SAC!!! I was emergency transferred. Let me tell you the story…

Last Thursday night, Sister Wilson and I were in a lesson and President Jardine called. We did not answer, but I was so nervous to call him back because it really is not ever good news when he calls. We get out of our lesson and call him on our way home. He said, “Sister Hickman, we need to emergency transfer you to East Sacramento.” Emergency transfers are not super common but they do happen. Basically, it means we can be transferred anytime, not just at the regular “transfer” periods. When he said that, I was soo calm!! Sister Wilson started crying. We talked a little more to him. I could tell he was nervous to tell me haha, but I felt so good. It felt right. I asked why this was happening. President Jardine said two sisters are together, who both cannot drive for various reasons. So basically, me and a sister would switch. And I would be the driver J He told me I was going to Mission Oak ward in the East Sac Stake and a sister would come to Carmichael. The good news is that Mission Oak is the area right next to the La Sierra ward. So, I literally moved across a main road. My ward in Carmichael was on the Stake border. So, this new area is pretty much exactly the same as my Carmichael area. President told me that Thursday night to go home and pack because I would be leaving the next morning. He told me to go home and pray about this, so that I, too, could receive confirmation that this was right, just as he did. By the time the conversation was over, I was crying because I realized I could say no good-byes. Not even to Albert, Mohammed, and Wesley! I went home and prayed. I felt the Spirit so strongly confirm to me that is exactly what Heavenly Father wants for me. I told Him I will have faith and stay strong that this is right! I packed up and moved the next morning. It has been hard not saying bye to anyone, but this taught me a lot! I learned to work so hard EVERYDAY because we do not know when it will be our last day in the area. I learned to have complete faith in Heavenly Father because every little thing happens for a reason. 

On Friday, I moved to my new area (literally just like 5 minutes away). My new companion is Sister Garrido. She has been out for one transfer more than me and is from Hawaii. I had heard about her before I came because she was trained in the La Sierra Ward (my ward in Carmichael). I was a little nervous about being with her because I have heard we are similar. We are both very bold and straightforward. I told President we would scare people together!! Well, I LOVE HER!!! Seriously, she is the best. She is a way hard worker and a total “Preach My Gospel” missionary. She is extremely on purpose. This area has been on fire. They had so many baptisms this last transfer and have some on date this transfer. We work super well together and push each other. She reminds me a lot of Elizabeth Bryant. Just so y’all have an idea of her. And her goofy side reminds me of Lindsey Willis. It is so fun because I feel like I am with my best friends! We have so much fun together, but we also work super hard. It has been the absolute BEST! We love talking to everyone. I got there on Friday and on Saturday we had a baptism. Haha I had no clue who they were. It was funny being the missionary at the baptism. They are this couple that has minor mental problems. They are sweet. Then, on Sunday, we had to give full-blown talks at church. Haha we were the only speakers. It was a crazy weekend!! Welcome to the life of a missionary. I have adjusted to the area for the most part. Sister Campbell (from my MTC District) is serving in this Zone, so that is so fun! We have lots of Spanish missionaries in this zone. It reminds me of Annalee and Mychal! 
 
We have a baptism next Saturday, December 6th. They have been teaching Annie, this sweet lady from Liberia. Sister Garrido and I started teaching her husband Daniel, this past week. He is getting baptized with her on the 6th! It has been a miracle! He is African American, not from Liberia. I keep laughing that I am baptizing all the Liberians! I am so incredibly thankful for this emergency transfer. It truly has been a huge blessing in disguise. I know this will be an amazing transfer. I cannot wait! We want a baptism at the end of December before the transfer is over. Missionaries call that having a “white Christmas.” J We will see J I am so excited for Annie and Daniel! We are praying hard for them. It has been a CRAZY week, but it has been the best! I love being in East Sac. It is so weird I was only in Carmichael for a transfer. That is not normal. Haha. BUT I know this is the plan for me! I will miss Carmichael. It was a good zone. I was spoiled being by the mission office. So side note: It will now take me a while to get mail, like when I was in El Dorado. In Carmichael, I would go pick it up, so now it will be forwarded. I get letters about 10 days after you mail them.

On this Thanksgiving, I am thankful to be a missionary. It truly is the best thing in the world. It brings the hard times and good times. I am thankful for my loving Father in Heaven and all He does for me. I am thankful for my supportive family and friends at home. I thought it would be hard being away at the holidays, but I really haven’t noticed it too much. As missionaries, everyday is the same. We get all today off, which is nice. I have not had a break in 5 months. Not kidding! I am not complaining though J Missions are the best.  Even P-days are super stressful. But today will be chill. We are going over to a family’s house for dinner. I am excited! 
I surprised Sister Parkinson at the mission office last Wednesday before she went home :) It was so good seeing her! I miss that girl!!!! 

I love you all! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. My heart is so incredibly full! I love my companion, my area, and my mission. I will talk to y’all on Monday! J
 
Lots of love from Sac,
Sister Hickman

No comments:

Post a Comment