-->

Monday, October 5, 2015

Christmas for Missionaries

General Conference is like Christmas for missionaries and like the super bowl (but twice a year) for Mormons (thanks for that, sister wright!). For those of you who do not know, General Conference is a world-wide conference from Salt Lake City, and it takes place the first weekend of April and October. The leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints address us as people of the world to have us know what Jesus Christ would have us know. More importantly, this is where we are addressed by the beloved prophet of the world, President Thomas S. Monson. Yes, we believe in continuing revelation. That only makes sense, right? Why would God talk to His children through a prophet during biblical times and then stop now. I love Doctrine & Covenants Section 1 verse 38: "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken...whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."
Or in the Book of Mormon in 1 Nephi chapter 10 verse 18: "For he is the same yesterday, today, and forever." I know that Heavenly Father gives us personal revelation as we pray to Him about our own lives. I also know that we are led by a prophet today, as a world, to ensure we are living our lives in a way to return to our Heavenly Father. How do you know that one is a prophet? Through prayer and confirmation by the Holy Ghost. Yesterday, as I sat watching the opening session of General Conference and saw everyone arise as President Monson walked in, I was filled with the Spirit. I cannot even begin to describe adequately in words how full of joy I was. I thought my body was going to burst with the Spirit! It was one of the most happiest moments of my whole life when I just thought to myself, "What is more true than this Gospel?" Through listening to the talks, I have an increased desire to become as the Savior is, to love those around me, to continue to dedicate my life to serving my Heavenly Father, and to remember the simplicity of this Gospel. What a historic moment seeing three new of the Lord's Apostles sustained. I know the Lord called them and that He leads and guides His church in these latter-days.
I remember growing up watching conference and dreading listening to the "old guys." The Gospel has just come alive on my mission. I do not even know how to describe it. It is so real and evident in the change that comes in our lives, for the better, when we live it to the fullest.


P.S. Shoutout to Val (my Fiji friend) and her father-in-law's commitment to "ponderize." I am excited to pick a scripture every week to ponder daily. Hey family, we should do it together. I will start picking a verse and send it in my weekly emails, and you can send me emails about impressions that have come while you've pondered it :)
This week will be D&C 1:38 ... dont forget to email your thoughts throughout the week! And as for my favorite talks...I loved President Uchtdorf's. and you all know I love Elder Holland. I am like a little giddy kid on Christmas morning when he speaks! I am not naming my daughter, Holland, for nothing! Hey, I dont even know if I told you guys that. I really am :)
I am not going to lie, the end of missions are so hard! I thought I would be the LAST one to ever say that. I love being a missionary, it is incredible. But I would be lying if I said I was not excited to see my family and friends. I am just praying hard to continue to focus everyday and remember that I will never have the opportunity to be a
full-time missionary again. I think listening to General Conference and receiving inspiration to apply to my life will help keep things exciting.
I know that we are Heavenly Father's children and that He has a plan for us. He wants us to come home to Him. I know that as we come unto Jesus Christ and become perfected in Him, He will mold us and change us.
I love you all! Have the best week!

love and miss you more than you know,
Sister Hickman
on Tuesday, the Zone Leaders let us go contact at Sac State because
they said it "builds the confidence of new missionaries" haha because
younger people are so much nicer and more open. I havent been on a
college campus in 15 months! Not gonna lie....I LOVED IT!!! It was so
fun! we had awesome conversations. I wish I had gotten to be in young
single adult work on my mission.

Bishop Grimsman (Folsom 2nd ward Bishop) is the Institute Director at
Sac State. So fun getting to see him when we went to campus! He is one
of my all-time favorite people! A day maker for sure seeing him!

15 months.....that is scary.....

Sister Campbell and I are lovin the Cordova Zone!

canada vs. america :) love my foreign companion (she is my first!)  We
got to go downtown to the Capitol and help set up for a Alzheimer's
foundation walk. It was so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment