-->

Monday, November 2, 2015

16 months....WOAH

November 2, 2015....my 16 month mark. There was a point in my mission when I never thought I would make it here! The longer I am out on my mission, the shorter the months feel. I literally blink and another month is gone. I truly am embracing every minute I have left. The last couple months have been hard because I was really excited to go home.
It has kicked in the last couple weeks that I will not be doing this forever, and it kills me! I really am trying to soak it all in because being a missionary really is the best thing in the world. In the Book of Mormon, Nephi tells us, "...I will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over al those whom he hath chosen,
because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." The Lord truly has poured out His tender mercies to us this week. I want to share a few of those experiences. 
-Travis, the one we found by knocking on his door.....has been passed off to the young single adult elders. He is doing so great!! He is solid.
-The mom with the 3 daughters that we found a couple weeks ago….we taught them again this week, they came to church yesterday, and THEY LOVED IT!!!!!!!! they really really did. The mom is from El Salvador, so we feel like she should go to the Spanish branch because it meets in our building at a different time, but she doesn't want to.
President says he wants us to keep teaching them and not pass them to Spanish, but I feel like culturally, the Spanish branch will be better. We will worry about that down the road. It was such a tender mercy that they came to church! especially the morning after Halloween :) OH, and EVERY testimony in sacrament meeting was PERFECT for them. It was one of the most spiritual sacrament meetings ever. People kept going up to talk and the meeting went like 10 min over. It was awesome.
On Thursday, I kept feeling this prompting to go over by the church building and knock on their doors and invite them to our Harvest Festival the next night. The church is so close...who wouldn't want to come...right?!? It was actully very successful. Everyone was so nice and gracious for the invite. No one is ever nice to us!!! hahaha we need to activities to invite people to. We met this younger girl, Nicole, who just moved in with her fiancé. She doesnt know anyone and is interested in the Church! We talked to her about temples and being sealed to her fiancé for eternity. We have an appointment with her for today! Hopefully it goes well. She was so sweet.
This week, we were visiting a guy missionaries had talked to in the past, and we knocked on the neighbors as well to talk to them. We met a cute, young mom and her 2 year old son. We invited them to the Harvest Festival. They had just moved in, and she legit acted like she was going to come. She said her husband was an "ex-mormon" haha. Well, they showed up to the harvest festival, and it turns out….the husband is from this HUGE mormon family in the area. I have had his family members in EVERY SINGLE one of my areas, except my first! I told him I was sent on my mission for the Comptons. haha it was such a small world. God truly led us to them because we had no clue they lived there! They had fun that night.
Which leads me to the Harvest festival. It was awesome! Sometime church things are lame. It was put on really well and it was an awesome turn out!!! and lots of friends of church members came. Sister Lillie and I were exhausted at the end of the night because we were talking and meeting so many people! It was a blast though.
Halloween is pretty lame for missionaries but that's okay. We got together as a zone, and we had a training on the Sabbath Day. We then had an hour of zone activities, but we weren't allowed to do anything but play games in our missionary clothes. It was fine. I was all for reverse trick-or-treating and going door to door to hand THEM things, but I guess not!
This was an incredible week. Great things are starting to happen in the Rossmoor Ward. There is a lot of energy starting about sharing the gospel for the members, and it is exciting to watch. I am grateful for the tender mercies that the Lord blesses me with everyday. They are always there if we just open our eyes to them and CHOOSE to be grateful, no matter our circumstance (Thanks, Pres. Uchtdorf). In my missionary daily planner (yes, I still use it even with iPads...it is okay, President knows:) ), I have a spot where I write the tender mercies from that day. I started last November, so I have been doing it for a year now. It truly has opened my eyes to all the Lord does for me everyday, as I nightly reflect. I would encourage you all to do it! I have heard people starting a HOG journal (Hand Of God), where they write little tender mercies from each day. It definitely keeps a
heart grateful and turned to our Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ.
I love you all!!! HAPPY FALL Y'ALL!!!
Love,
Sister Hickman
Car selfie to say Happy Halloween!

They came to church and loved it :) oh happy day!

Welcome to our life. I've never seen so many no soliciting signs! I
don't remember anyone having them in Oklahoma.

The church trunk-or-treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment